|Founder(s):||Mister Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Human Torch, Thing|
|Leader(s):||Formerly Mister Fantastic, Invisible Woman, Thing, Ant-Man|
|Ant-Man, Black Panther, Crystal, Flux, Medusa, She-Thing, Nova, Power Man, She-Hulk, Storm, Spider-Man, Mister Fantastic, Human Torch, Invisible Woman, Thing, Tigra, Miss Thing|
|Formerly Baxter Building, New York, New York, Four Freedoms Plaza; Antarctic Laboratory; Pier Four|
|Fantastic Four #1|
|Creators:||Stan Lee, Jack Kirby|
"After all these years... All our adventures... We're still together... We're still a team! The Greatest Team Ever!"
Reed Richards was a brilliant scientist with a great knowledge of physics who had been working tirelessly to create the first spacecraft that could take astronauts beyond the reaches of the moon. Unfortunately, the government suddenly decided to cut funding to his project, even though his ship was finished and ready for launch.
Unwilling to see his years of research and work go to waste, Richards decided to move up the launch before the decision could be formally announced. He invited several friends to join him as his crew. These included his girlfriend Susan Storm her brother Johnny Storm, and former college roommate turned US test pilot Ben Grimm.
Despite his new moved-up timetable, Richards once again hit a roadblock when fears over cosmic rays caused the spaceport to scrap his flight. Reed and his crew waited until later that evening to sneak back onto the ship and take off before the military could intercept them.
Pushing through the Earth’s atmosphere, they were immediately struck by a massive cosmic ray storm. Penetrating the hull, it made Richards and his crew too ill to continue the mission. This prompted them to return to Earth by making an emergency crash-landing.
Surviving touchdown, they each discovered that the cosmic rays had changed their bodies. Sue found herself able to become invisible, and would later develop the ability to create force fields. Ben’s skin had become heavy and stone-like, giving him a monstrous appearance and increased strength. Reed’s body had become fully elastic, and Johnny gained the ability to burst into flames as well as fly.
Realizing that the rays had altered their atomic structures, Reed proposed to the team that they had been given incredible power, and should use it to help mankind. Individually, they picked out the superhero names Mister Fantastic, The Invisible Woman, The Human Torch and The Thing.
- Black Panther
- Power Man
- Ant-Man (former leader)
- Miss Thing
- Mister Fantastic (founding member and former leader)
- Invisible Woman (founding member and former leader)
- Human Torch (founding member)
- Thing (founding member and former leader)
Gadgets and gear created by Mr. Fantastic
- Fantasti-Car MK I (Flying Bathtub) - Obsolete
- Fantasti-Car MK II - Obsolete
- Pogo Plane MK I - Obsolete
- Passenger ICBM - Obsolete
- Stan Lee and Jack Kirby created the Fantastic Four as Marvel Comics' answer to the Justice League of America of DC Comics.
- Each of the powers (as well as their personalities) of the Fantastic Four correspond to the four basic elements according to Greek philosophy: earth (Thing), wind (Invisible Woman), fire (Human Torch), and water (Mister Fantastic).