|Full Name:||Matthew Michael "Matt" Murdock|
|First Appearance:||Daredevil (Volume 1) 1|
|Created by:||Stan Lee, Bill Everett|
|Place of Birth:||New York City|
|Base:||Hell's Kitchen, New York City; formerly Matt Murdock's Apartment, Nelson and Murdock Law Office, New York, Shadowland, San Francisco, California|
|Affiliations:||Partner of Blindspot, New York City District Attorney's Office; formerly Kirsten McDuffie, Nelson and Murdock, New Avengers, Defenders, S.H.I.E.L.D., Marvel Knights, leader of the Hand; former partner of Black Widow; Worthington Industries (Attorney)|
|Powers/Abilities:||Enhanced senses, Radar sense, Martial arts master, Expert detective, Peak human physical and mental condition|
|Height:||6' 0½" (1.84 m)|
|Weight:||185 lbs (84 kg)|
"The name's Daredevil... remember it! You'll be hearing it again...I promise!"
The son of prize fighter "Battlin' Jack", Matt Murdock grew up in the relative poverty of Hell's Kitchen with much reverence for his father, who constantly pressed him to study instead of playing with his friends.
Matt's father, Jack, hoped that Matt would become a doctor or a lawyer, instead of an "uneducated pug" like himself. This led the neighborhood kids to taunt the seemingly "cowardly" Matt as "Daredevil." Frustrated, Matt would secretly train in his father's gym, working off his anger.
One day, Matt saw a blind man walking towards an oncoming truck. Matt pushed the man out of the way, saving the man's life. However, the truck crashed and the radioactive isotope it was carrying spilled out, striking Matt across the face and blinding him forever. While recovering in the hospital, Matt discovered his remaining five senses were amplified to superhuman degrees, even developing a "radar sense" that formed a mental picture of his surroundings.
As an adult, he becomes a lawyer and opens a law firm with Foggy Nelson while secretly taking on the mantle of Daredevil in order to protect the citizens of Hell's Kitchen and bring justice to the streets as well as the courtroom.
Relationships with other heroesEdit
As a superhero, one of his best friends is the superhero Spider-Man. With his ability to distinguish heartbeats, Murdock learned Spider-Man's identity and subsequently revealed his. However, due to the events of the One More Day storyline, Murdock no longer knows Spider-Man's secret identity, and since then refused to relearn it due to the potential danger involved.
He is very similar to Spider-Man. He gained his powers through a radioactive accident, and is mostly motivated by the death of his father, the same way that Peter Parker became motivated by the death of his uncle Ben Parker to fight crime for the greater good.
Powers and AbilitiesEdit
Superhuman Senses: Daredevil has superhuman senses of smell, touch, taste, and hearing.
- Superhuman Sense of Touch: Daredevil's sense of touch is so acute that his finger can feel the faint impressions of ink on a printed page allowing him to read by touch. The rest of his skin the faint impressions of ink on a printed age, allowing him to read by touch. The read by concentration to feel minute temperature and pressure changes in the atmosphere around him. Even his senses of smell and hearing are blocked, he can feel the presence of a person standing five feet away from him simply by his or her body heat and disturbance of air. A side effect of his sense of touch is Daredevil's ability to manipulate his muscles and internal organs. The sense of touch is not just external, but internal too (central nervous system), there by giving him the ability to have total body control.
- Superhuman Sense of Smell: Daredevil's sense of smell is so acute that he can distinguish between identical twins at twenty feet by minute differences in smell. He can also detect odors. Further, his ability to remember smells enables him to identify any person he has spent at least five minutes with by smell alone, no matter how he or she might try to camouflage his or her natural odor. His powers of concentration are such that he can focus upon a single person's smell and follow it through a crowd of people at a distance of fifty feet.
- Superhuman Sense of Hearing: Daredevil's sense of hearing enables him to detect an acoustic pressure change of one decibel at a pressure level of seven decibels (whereas the lowest threshold for average human hearing is twenty decibels.) He can hear a person's heartbeat at a distance of over twenty feet, or people whispering on the other side of a standard soundproofed wall, Through practice, Daredevil is able to control his hearing acuity, mentally blocking out specific sounds like his own breathing and heartbeat, all ambient sounds to a normal human level of perception, or all sounds but a particular sound he is concentrating upon.
- Lie Detection: Daredevil can sense if he or she is lying by listening to his or her heartbeat.
- Person Identification: Daredevil can identify people by listening to his or her heartbeats.
- Superhuman Sense of Taste: Daredevil's sense of taste enables him to detect the number of grains of salt on a pretzel. His ability to remember tastes enables him to determine every ingredient of a food or drink he tastes, as long as there are at least twenty milligrams of that substance present.
- Superhuman Sense of Balance: it's a misconception that balance isn't a sense, but Daredevil's balance centers give him equilibrium on par with Spider-Man.
- Radar Sense: Daredevil can also sense the proximity and arrangement of objects about himself. According to one theory, Daredevil's "radar sense" functions via his brain's generation of energy within a certain portion of the electromagnetic spectrum. The signal emanates from sending regions of his brain, after which it travels outward, bounces off objects around him, and returns to receiving regions of his brain, Another theory is that this sense functions more closely to sonar in which Daredevil hears the faint echoes of sounds as they bounce off nearby objects, His sense may operate by a combination of these techniques or by other, unknown means. in any event, via the ability, Daredevil synthesizes a very close analogue of three-dimensional human sight, After he lost the Radar, Matt's instructor Stick retaught him his Radar/Senses through special training. Stick told Matt the radiation gave him a "free ride" but now he must develop it like everyone else. Its resolution is not very fine, probably on the order of several feet at a distance of one hundred feet. By repositioning his head and adding input from his other senses, however his Radar was restored later on, Daredevil is able to resolve the image of average flagpole (there-inch cylinder) at a distance of over eighty feet.
- High Intellect: Matthew has a high IQ; he's an accomplished and great strategist and tactican as well as an vastly experienced expert in interrogation, disguise, medicine, science and detective work.
- Peak Human Condition: Daredevil trained his body to physical and mental condition through extreme ninja trainings and personally tutored by Stick. Daredevil's Strength, Speed, Stamina, Agility, Endurance, Durability, Intelligence, Reflexes, Flexibility, and Healing are above that of the finest Olympic athletes.
- Expert Detective: Daredevil has shown to be an expert detective using intellect to figure out complex problems and hyper-senses to find clues and evidence to crime scenes.
- Interrogation Expert: Matt uses many different interrogation methods to extract information from criminals. His knowledge of criminology and torture is unerring and often overwhelming. As a lawyer, cross-examining a witness or the defendant is a very vital skill set to interrogation. Matt is also more than likely an expert or at least highly trained in the use and interpretation of polygraph testers.
- Professional Lawyer: He is a master lawyer, specializing in criminal justice.
- Master Acrobat: Daredevil is a superb Olympic athlete, gymnast, acrobat, and aerialist due to constant training and exercise. His reflexes and agility are remarkablely above that of the finest human athletes.
- Expert Marksman: He is very dead on accurate in throwing most projectile-like weaponry along with his sticks.
- Master Martial Artist: Daredevil has also been very thoroughly trained in the ninja arts by Stick, a senior master and member of the secret order Chaste. Nick Fury, former director of S.H.I.E.L.D, commented that there are only a handful of individuals that know what Matt Murdock knows, referring to the Chaste. Stick helped Daredevil control his powers and taught him fighting techniques with stealth, vanishing, to even life-energy (chi/ki) control. Matt is well educated in functioning of the human body as well as martial arts techniques that target pressure points enabling him to paralyze limbs of an individual's body or entire body altogether. He's disabled eyesight, speech, induced pain, and even has knowledge of pressure points inducing death. Daredevil's fighting style blends Boxing with Ninjutsu, Judo/Jujutsu and Aiki-Jujutsu, but he may have also been exposed to additional disciplines such as Wing Chin Kung Fu, Shaolin Kung Fu, Savate, and various styles of Karate, Muny Thai, Hapkidio, Kali, and Escrima to varying degrees by Stick to compliment Matt's strengths as he has been seen employing other sophisticated techniques such as jumping and grounding-level kicks and jumping takedowns. Being that Ninjutsu seems to be the martial art that Matt seems to have mastered the most, he more than likely possesses at least a grandmaster ship level rank (at least a 10th degree) on in Ninjutsu. His skills have proven so exceptional so as to enable him to easily defeat or stalemate some of the greatest fighters on Earth. He has fought opponents such as the Black Panther, Taskmaster, Sabretooth and Wolverine to standstills.
- Radar Sense Limitations: Daredevil is unable to discern pictures or video images, and he can only guess at colors based on amount of heat they are absorbing or reflecting. If anyone and anything is not emitting anything that would trigger his heightened senses Daredevil wouldn't be able to detect it, such as Mysterio's hallucinogenic toxin, which was devoid of taste or smell, or prior to his capture by the F.B.I., when a sniper bullet fired outside the range of his sense of hearing was able to badly injure him. He can't target objects that are moving too fast even if they are in range of his senses, such as Spider-Man.
- Radar Sense Disruption: Daredevil's superhuman senses render him extraordinarily vulnerable to excessive sound, odors, etc., which can temporarily weaken his Radar Sense or if he is bombarded by too much sound at once, Daredevil can easily be immobilized, which causes him great pain and leaves him disoriented. Once the disruptive effects wear off, Daredevil's Radar Sense is able to return to its normal calibration. Crowns of people or too many objects around him creates too many impression for Daredevil to sort through, making it harder to detect any oncoming enemy attacks.
- Non-Superhuman Physical Conditioning: As Daredevil's powers do not give any kind of superhuman physical ability, Daredevil is susceptible to physical injury and disease as any normal human, often having to rely more on strategy than strength when up against other superhuman opponents.
- Blindness: Daredevil is blind, While his Radar Sense helps him navigate, this becomes a problem for Daredevil to navigate and track his opponent when his heightened senses are scrambled or can't not detect anything which diminishes Daredevil's ability to be able to fight back when in the middle of a battle.
For a "normal" human, Matt has demonstrated remarkable physical strength. Daredevil is an Olympic-level weightlifter and possesses the normal human strength of a man of his age, height, and build that exercises intensively and regularly.
Matt has demonstrated that he can lift and handle a 400 lbs. barbell if it were fifty pounds, has overturned a limo full of people, and has picked up and used a mail drop-box as a blunt instrument. At his peak, Daredevil possesses sufficient strength to press lift approximately 450 lbs.
- The horns on his costume are antennae that can pick up radio waves, allowing them to serve as a police scanner. While possessed by The Beast the horns on his costume were transformed into larger devil horns when it fully awakened, and were reverted back to normal when The Beast was removed from Matt Murdock's body.
- Matt currently wields a multi-purpose cane. Its initial form is two short sticks held together by an extendable cable. It can be configured into a nunchaku- like weapon to a manrikigusari(a long rope/chain weapon with two weights on its ends), dual short sticks which can be wielded in a pair, staff, or a cable with a grappling hook. The weapon can also be adjusted to combine both sticks into a larger stick. The weapon is held by a holster on the side of Matt's left leg.
- Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends episode, "Attack of the Arachnoid" voiced by Frank Welker.
- Daredevil appears in the Spider-Man (1994 TV series) double episode "Framed"/"The Man Without Fear", voiced by Edward Albert.
- Daredevil made his first video game appearance in a cameo in Venom/Spider-Man: Separation Anxiety released in 1995.
- The character had a more expansive role as an alternate playable character in Spider-Man: Web of Fire, released in 1996, voiced by Dee Bradley Baker.
- Daredevil appears in the 2000 Spider-Man video game again voiced by Dee Bradley Baker.
- Daredevil later starred as a playable character in the 2005 Marvel Nemesis: Rise of the Imperfects video game, voiced by David Kaye.
- Daredevil appeared as an unlockable character in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance voiced by Cam Clarke.
- Daredevil is a playable character in Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2 voiced by Brian Bloom. In the Wii and PS2 versions, he is exclusive to the Anti-registration side and boss for the Pro-registration side.
- Matt Murdock makes a cameo appearance in Chris Redfield's ending for Marvel vs. Capcom 3: Fate of Two Worlds, where he is shown acting as the prosecutor at the trial of Albert Wesker. In addition, on the Daily Bugle stage, there is an advertisement billboard for "Nelson & Murdock - Attorneys at Law."
- Daredevil appears in the Shadowland stage in Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 in his black outfit. Additionally, a zombified version of Daredevil makes a cameo in Frank West's ending of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3.
- Daredevil is a playable character in Marvel Super Hero Squad Online, in his standard red outfit and his alternate classic yellow outfit. Brian Bloom reprises his role from Marvel: Ultimate Alliance 2.
- Daredevil is a playable character in the Facebook game Marvel: Avengers Alliance.
- In 2013, Marvel Heroes, Daredevil is a playable character, and one of the few character the player can choose from the start. The first level of the game is Hell's Kitchen, Daredevil's hometown.