|So, as someone once said, --- Up --- Up --- and AWAY! - Peter Parker
This article is plagiarized.
It seems the information on this article is mostly or entirely copied from another source. Please edit this article to make it more original.
|Full Name:||Miguel O'Hara|
|First Appearance:||Amazing Spider-Man #365|
|Created by:||Peter David, Rick Leonardi|
|Place of Birth:||New York, U.S.A.|
|Base:||His apartment at Babylon Towers (a division of Alchemax)|
|Affiliations:||Lyla, Formerly employed by Alchemax|
|Powers/Abilities:||Wall crawling, proportional strength, speed and agility of a spider, and organic webbing.|
|Height:||5' 10" (1.78 m)|
|Weight:||170 lbs (77 kg)|
|Unique Features:||Retractable Talons, Fangs|
"You're as brave and unselfish as another guy who goes by the handle Spider-Man. You're a worthy successor to the name."
Miguel O'Hara is born in New York City, he grew up with his mother Conchata O'Hara, his younger brother Gabriel O'Hara, and his father George O'Hara. Miguel at his adolescence was awarded for enrollment for Alchamex School for Gifted Youngsters in Westchester, there he was friends with Xina Kwan, a girl who specializes with computers. Defending each other from a son of Vice president of Alchamax, Kron Stone and his father, Tyler stone.
As adults, Miguel and Xina dated but eventually Miguel met someone else named Dana D'Angelo. Later on, Miguel and Dana were engaged. Miguel lived on in a apartment as private man with a holographic aid Lyla, an artificial intelligence programmed by Xina.
Eventually, Miguel becomes head of the genetics program of Alchemax, creating a new corporation controlled super-powered soldiers called "The Corporate Raiders." Miguel is specifically inspired by surviving records concerning Spider-Man and hopes to one day create someone similarly like him, but after a human test subject dies during an early experiment, Miguel tells Tyler Stone that he wishes to resign from Alchemax and discontinue his genetics research.
Rather than let Miguel leave, Tyler tricks him into taking Rapture, a drug that genetically bonds to the user. Tyler reminds Miguel that only Alchemax is allowed to legally distribute this drug, so if O'Hara does not remain with the corporation then Tyler will assume that he is getting the drug from the black market and will be forced to call the police. Not wishing to be a blackmailed, Miguel recalls that he entered his own genetic code into his machine's data-banks during the experiments, using it as a human DNA sample. Intending to use this old template of his pure genetic code to write over his current biology and free himself from the drug, Miguel sneaks into Alchemax and uses a gene alteration machine on himself.After Miguel turns on the machine to rewrite his DNA, his subordinate Aaron Delgado, sabotages the machine, causing them to alter Miguel's genetic code at 50% of the spider DNA. Miguel survives the process, but realizes he now has Spider-Man's abilities.
Tyler Stone realizes that there is a person with abilities similar to Spider-Man, he send agents to hunt this person. Miguel concealed his identity while he fights Stone's pursuers, he later dons a bodysuit with a mask that he once wore for a Mexican Day of the Dead festival. Miguel chooses this costume because it is the only clothing he has made from "UMF" (Unstable Molecule Fabric), meaning it is the only clothing he owns that will not be torn up to shreds by the spider-talons that now has in his hands and feet. A group of Thor-rites (worshipers of Marvel's hero, Thor) come to believe that Miguel is the legendary Spider-Man back from the dead, after seeing him operate in public and that he is the sign of Thor's eventual return.
Heroic CareerEditOriginally wanting to find a cure for his condition, Miguel's adventures as Spider-Man 2099 cause him to realize how ignorant of the world was and how he had turned a blind eye to the oppression that corporations of the world have caused. He is also surprised at the effect his presence has on the people who have been oppressed for so long, particularly his own mother, who ironically also hates the man her eldest son has become, but admires the exploits of Spider-Man 2099. Miguel decides to embrace his identity as Spider-Man. Donning his costume, as he publicly proclaims himself to be an enemy to all the mega-corps, saying he will use his powers to fight for the people against those who are in power and who abuse their influence and authority.
Later on, Miguel discovers that an arrogant scientist at Alchemax called Jordan Boone is conducting a "Virtual Unreality", a titled experiment to create a doorway into another dimension. These experiments lead to the release of two figures: the Net Prophet, called "the prophet of Thor" by the Thor-rites, and a powerful megalomaniac called Thanatos. The Net Prophet becomes an ally to Miguel. Since the Net Prophet is believed to be Thor's prophet, his association with Spider-Man 2099 leads more people to believe that Miguel's alter ego is a harbinger to Thor.
In the "Time Flies Saga", years later in Peter David's Captain Marvel series, it is revealed that the Net Prophet is actually the hero, John Tensen AKA Justice and that Thanatos is a corrupt version of Rick Jones from Earth-9309.
The first major crossover of Marvel 2099 happens when Miguel and Dana visit Alchemax's floating city "Valhalla" and are startled by the appearance of two men claiming to be Thor 2099 and Heimdall 2099. It is later discovered that Alchemax CEO Avatarr has transformed ordinary people into duplicates of Asgardians, in order to eliminate the rise of new superheroes over the public. By joining forces, Doom 2099, Ravage 2099, the Punisher 2099, the X-Men 2099, and Spider-Man 2099 are able to defeat the fake Aesir and let Valhalla fall.
Miguel later learns that Gabe is aware of his secret identity, having recognized Spider-Man's costume from what Miguel wore to the Day of the Dead festival years ago. Gabe has grown a bit of resentment of Miguel's heroic actions, particularly since his girlfriend Kasey seems enamored with the costume of Spider-Man 2099.
After his holographic projector-y, Lyla suffers a serious malfunction, Miguel asks for a repair from his ex-girlfriend, Xina. Later, Dana accuses Miguel of cheating on her and Miguel becomes angry about this and about Dana's noticeably increasing interest with Tyler Stone. The two broke up and Xina and Miguel become companions again.
Spider-Man 2099 Meets Spider-ManEdit
In the one-shot story Spider-Man 2099 Meets Spider-Man, released in 1995, Miguel and Peter Parker, the Spider-Man of the Heroic Age, find themselves having switched places, with Miguel waking up next to Peter's wife, Mary Jane, and Spider-Man finding himself in the future. They discover that their predicament is caused by Fujikawa (in the Modern Age) and Alchemax (in the year 2099) running experiments on a temporal energy generator. While Peter tackles the Vulture of 2099, Miguel faces Venom. Miguel realizes that this anomaly is what will cause the Heroic Age to end, since where he is in the past is when history tells him all the heroes and much of Earth's culture and technology were wiped out.The two Spider-Men were united to face major chaos, a time-traveling female Hobgoblin of the year 2211 from the alternative universe of Earth-9500. They are aided by this Hobgoblin's father, Spider-Man 2211, and eventually everyone is sent back to their realities.
It should be noted that at the end of this adventure that by being in the past, Miguel has slightly altered in the present world of 2099 since he has postponed himself when the Heroic Age will end in a unknown date. This implied that the world of Marvel 2099 might not been the definite future of the Marvel Universe and in later stories it was said that Marvel 2099 occurs on a parallel universe of Earth-928 and mainstream Marvel stories still occur on Earth-616.
Revelations, Nightshade, and One Nation Under DoomEdit
Miguel was eavesdropping on a conversation between his mother and Tyler Stone, learning that the Rapture that Stone gave him was only a short-lasting simulation and would be worn off in time. He also learns that Tyler Stone is his real father. He was bothered by this news and left New York to go traveling with Xina. During this time, they travel to Nightshade, an independent research town (free of mega-corp rule) run by Angela Daskelakis, their former headmistress at Alchemax. While they are visiting, Alchemax attempts a hostile takeover of Nightshade, destroying most of the city and killing Angela. Xina returns home and Miguel disappears into the desert, saved by a group of scavengers. They ask him as Spider-Man to try and fix an old homunculus-like robot they had found. After seeing Spider-Man's mask, it transforms itself into a hybrid of the present day Spider-Man and Venom, naming itself Flipside. Seemingly harmless at first, the robot begins showing psychopathic and homicidal tendencies. Miguel escapes, leaving the scavengers to Flipside's mercy and returns to New York.
Upon his return, Miguel finds out that Doom 2099 has controlled all over the U.S. and its mega-corps. Tyler Stone is appointed as Doom’s Corporate Minister and Miguel is offered the seat of CEO of Alchemax. Later, Doom 2099 offers Spider-Man 2099 the position of Minister of Super-normal Affairs. Miguel eventually accepts the position at Alchemax, deciding to change the company for the better. He then uses his new influence to order law enforcement to leave Spider-Man 2099 alone.
Venom, Submariner, and Goblin 2099Edit
After assuming his new position of power, Miguel encounters a modern version of Spider-Man's enemy, Venom. The Venom symbiote, though slightly altered, takes on a new host body and attacks Tyler Stone, currently hospitalized after being shot. During the battle between Spider-Man 2099 and Venom 2099, Dana is killed.
Soon after this, a new villain called the Goblin appears and begins a smear campaign against Spider-Man 2099, displaying out-of-context evidence that implies he is actually a tool of the corporations and pretends to be a hero. Miguel hopes to get aid from Doom 2099, but the monarch is was removed from power.
Meanwhile, Miguel O'Hara must deal with Alchemax's business, including an uprising by the bio-engineered Atlanteans, who were bred as workers to complete Alchemax's underwater colony "Atlantis". Miguel gets help when his mother becomes his secretary, attempting to rebuild their relationship and confessing that she was the one who shot Tyler Stone. The Atlanteans, led by Roman, the new Sub-Mariner, attack the city but are defended off by Spider-Man.
Miguel confronts the Goblin again and learns that it is actually his brother Gabe, twisted by jealousy towards his brother. This story is put aside as the Phalanx approaches earth, flooding New York and paving the way for the Atlanteans to return en maze. The finale sees the deaths of Tyler Stone and Miguel's mother at the hands of the Atlanteans, as Vulture destroys the Alchemax building (however, in the Manifest Destiny one-shot, his mother survived). Miguel, along with Dana's sister, Jennifer, are left in an Alchemax airship, deciding where to find a safe place to go.
Powers & AbilitiesEdit
- Spider Physiology: O'Hara possesses a variety of superhuman attributes after being genetically imprinted with the DNA of a spider, it is not radioactive based like the original Spider-Man.
- Superhuman Strength: O'Hara possesses superhuman strength. His strength is sufficient enough to lift up to 10 tons. O'Hara's strength also extends to his legs, allowing him to leap great heights of at least 30 feet in a single bound.
- Superhuman Speed: O'Hara is capable of moving and running at speeds far beyond the natural physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Stamina: O'Hara's musculature physicality generates less fatigue toxins then the musculature of a ordinary human.
- Superhuman Durability: O'Hara's body is more resistant to certain types of injury than the body of a normal human. He can withstand great impact forces, such as falling from several stories high and repeatedly struck by super-humanly strong opponents.
- Enhanced Endurance: O'Hara has far greater resilience than most humans. He once fell off a building and effortlessly walked to a hospital, where a doctor mentions that he had broken ribs and massive fractures.
- Superhuman Agility: O'Hara's agility, balance and dexterity are enhanced to levels that are far beyond the physical limits of the finest human athlete.
- Superhuman Reflexes: O'Hara's reflexes are further enhanced and are superior compared to the finest human athlete.
- Accelerated Vision: O'Hara can see great distances with perfect clarity. He possesses the same level of clarity at night, enabling to see in dark environments. It also works as a type of early warning, not to the degree of the spider-sense ability but it enables him to see attacks coming from far away.
- Accelerated Healing Factor: O'Hara's metabolism has been genetically enhanced that it let him to regenerate lost, damaged, or destroyed bodily tissues greater then any normal human being. O'Hara ages very slowly due to the rapid regeneration of his healthy bodily tissues and cells.
- Talons and Fangs: O'Hara possesses canine teeth that can produce non-toxic venom that can paralyze his enemies. He also has retractable talons at the tip of his fingers and toes that he uses to dig, crawl, and rend materials such as cinder block.
- Spinnerets: Both of Miguel O'Hara's forearms contain spinnerets that releases a web-like substances from the back of his wrists. He can use it to swing from building to building or restraining an individual.
- Accelerated Decoy: Technology has allowed O'Hara to move so fast that he leaves behind a body double for enemies to attack.
- Spider-Sense: Originally O'Hara did not possess a Spider-Sense as the original Spider-Man did. However, in Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, Madame Web passed on this power to him to aid him. It is presumed that he no longer has this ability as he has not used it since.
O'Hara is a skilled and gifted geneticist. He is also a formidable hand to hand combat, using a special fighting style that allows him to make full use of his strength, speed, and agility despite the fact that he's had little formal training.
- Optical Photo-Sensitivity: Due to his accelerated vision, his eyes are extremely light-sensitive.
- Speech Difficulty: He can't retract his fangs, so he has had to learn to talk in a way that hides his fangs, making communication difficult.
- Costume: O'Hara's costume is made of unstable molecules, similar to the Fantastic Four's Future Foundation costumes, that are designed to resist tearing of his claws. The costume also includes a light air foil on its back. This foil emits a low concentration of anti-gravity particles that allow O'Hara to glide on currents of air.
- In the Ultimate Spider-Man episode "The Spider-Verse: Part 1" to stop Green Goblin, Spider-Man follows him through a portal into an alternate reality of the year 2099. There, he gains the trust of the Spider-Man of year 2099, Miguel O'Hara to repel the Green Goblin and boosts the confidence of Miguel to keep being Spider-Man.
- In 2000's Spider-Man, a "Spider-Man 2099" costume was an unlockable for Spider-Man.
- The unlockable costume returned in the game's sequel, Spider-Man 2: Enter Electro.
- Miguel O'Hara's 2099 costume is a Wii exclusive unlockable costume for Spider-Man: Web of Shadows by completing 50 city events.
- Spider-Man 2099 is a playable character in the Marvel Super Hero Squad video game.
- Spider-Man 2099 is a playable character in Marvel Super Hero Squad Online.
- In 2010's Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, Miguel O'Hara as Spider-Man is one of four versions of Spider-Man featured as playable protagonists voiced by Dan Gilvezan, who played the role of Peter Parker in the 1980's cartoon series, Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends.
- In 2011's Spider-Man: Edge of Time Miguel O'Hara is playable as a character and voiced by Christopher Daniel Barnes, who provided the voice of Spider-Man in the 1994 TV series.
- In 2014's The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (video game), Miguel O'Hara's costume is wearable.
- In August 2015, the Facebook game Marvel Avengers Alliance, Spider-Man 2099 was made recruit-able for 90 Command Points.
- Originally Miguel O'Hara did not possess a Spider-Sense as the original Spider-Man did. However, in the video game Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, Madame Web passed on this power to aid him. However, this ability has not appeared outside of Shattered Dimensions, meaning this ability was temporary.
- A television series for Miguel O'Hara/Spider-Man 2099 was considered in the late 1990's however the series was turned down in favor for the short lived, Spider-Man: Unlimited.
- Miguel is Irish on his biological father's side (Tyler Stone) and Mexican on his mom's side (Conchata O'Hara).
- Miguel does not know what a toaster, a cell phone, or the world series is, since he was born far into the future.
- It's unknown why Miguel wanted to quit being Spider-Man in Ultimate Spider-Man.
- In Spider-Man 2099 Meets Spider-Man Vol. 1 #1, Miguel met Mary Jane Watson when he woke up time displaced in bed with her and later on in the comic they became friends after they introduced themselves to each other, but in Spider Man: Edge of Time Miguel has no idea who she was. Miguel asked Spider Man to describe her appearance, when she was attacked by the tentacles Miguel called her name but Mary Jane ran because she could not recognize his voice or his costume. The reason for this is due to the events of One More Day , Peter and MJ are no longer married so at the point in time where Miguel would have arrived, it no longer existed. Miguel, however should've remembered due to being from an alternate timeline.