|Survival of the Fittest|
Original Air Date
|March 8, 2008|
Survival of the Fittest was the pilot episode of the first season of the animated series, The Spectacular Spider-Man. The episode first aired on March 8, 2008.
The night before the school term begins, Spider-Man, the alter ego of Peter Parker, interrupts a bank robbery by Flint Marko and and Alen O'Hirn. unaware that he is being by a shadowy figure called the Big Man, who orders his henchman, Hammerhead, to summon the Enforcers and kill Spider-Man.
The next day, Adrian Toomes is at Oscorp, raging at Dr Otto Octavius for convincing him to present his Anti-Gravity project to Norman Osborn, only to have his work stolen. Just then, Norman Osborn (Alan Rachins) walks in, before Octavius can apologies, gloats to Toomes that with no other achievements under his belt, he holds no leverage over Osborn, and has his men escort Toomes off the premise. Meanwhile, Peter reunited with his two best friends, Gwen Stacy and Harry Osborn, at Midtown High School and the three begin their first day of Junior year. Filled with new-found confidence, Peter decides out ask out his crush, Sally Avril, only to be humiliated by her, Flash Thompson and the rest of their piers.
After school, Peter and Gwen are offered internships at Dr. Conner's Lab, where the former first got the spider bite that turned him into Spider-Man. Peter goes to Harry's apartment, where Norman congratulates Peter, while also silently chiding Harry for not also being offered the position. Just then, Toomes, now wearing his Bionic, Winged suit and going by the name "Vulture", swoops in and kidnaps Norman. Peter quickly orders Harry to call the police as he pursues the Vulture as Spider-Man. He succeeds in rescuing Norman, but Vulture manages to escape.
Later, Peter meets up with Gwen at the Lab, where he also meets his childhood friend, Eddie Brock, and the Conners. Having overheard of Aunt May's money troubles earlier that day, Peter asks Eddie how much the internship pays, only to find out neither he nor Gwen are actually being paid. Peter then turns to the Daily Bugle, hoping to sell his pictures of Spider-Man, only to be kicked out by J. Jonah Jameson.
That night, while out on patrol, Spider-Man spots Norman being attacked again by the Vulture, and when he tries to intervene, he is instead attacked by the Enforcers. Spider-Man fights to protect Norman, and get the assassins off his back, and is eventually able to defeat both parties, only to get home late. Aunt May (Deborah Strang) gives Peter a curfew so he doesn't get home late again and the episode end with her offering him a slice of pie.
- Spider-Man (Peter Parker) (First appearance)
- Aunt May Parker (First appearance)
- Oscorp (First appearance)
- Norman Osborn (First appearance)
- Dr. Curt Connors (First appearance)
- Martha Connors (First appearance)
- Eddie Brock (First appearance)
- Gwen Stacy (First appearance)
- Harry Osborn (First appearance)
- Flint Marko (First appearance)
- Alex O'Hirn (First appearance)
- The Big Man (First appearance) (Voice)
- Hammerhead (First appearance)
- The Enforcers (First appearance)
- The Vulture (Adrian Toomes) (First appearance)
- Anna Watson (First appearance) (Cameo)
- Aaron Warren (First appearance)
- Dr. Otto Octavius (First appearance) (Cameo)
- Sally Avril (First appearance)
- Rand Robertson (First appearance)
- Flash Thompson (First appearance)
- Kenny "King Kong" McFarlane (First appearance)
- Liz Allan (First appearance)
- Billy Connors (First appearance)
- Daily Bugle (First appearance)
- Jean DeWolff (First appearance)
- Stan Carter (First appearance)
- Uncle Ben (First appearance) (Photo)