|Full Name:||Wade Winston Wilson|
|First Appearance:||New Mutants Vol. 1 #98|
|Created by:||Fabian Nicieza; Rob Liefeld|
|Place of Birth:||Canada|
|Base:||Schaefer Theater, Manhattan, New York City, New York; formerly Cavern-X, Sedona, Arizona|
|Affiliations:||Avengers Unity Division, Mercs for Money; formerly Magneto's Super-Villain Group, Red Hulk's Thunderbolts, Wolverine/Archangel's X-Force, Deadpool Corps, S.H.I.E.L.D., Code Red, Initiative operative, Six Pack, Agency X, One World Church, Deadpool Inc., Heroes for Hire, Secret Defenders, Frightful Four, Team Deadpool, Weapon X, Weapon Plus, Department K, U.S. Army Special Forces, Great Lakes Initiative reserve member (Wisconsin Initiative), Oyakata's sumo stable, briefly held probationary status in the X-Men (recurrently presenting himself as a member); former partner of Genesis, Elektra, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Lasher, and presumably others; former operative for Landau, Luckman & Lake, Commission on Superhuman Activities, Tolliver, Taskmaster, Kingpin, Dr. Druid, Hammerhead, Yakuza; shared body with Agent Preston; Bodyguard of Dazzler|
|Powers/Abilities:||Healing factor grants him superhuman stamina, agility, and reflexes.|
|Height:||6' 2" (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||210 lbs (95 kg)|
|Hair Color:||Bald (Formerly Blond)|
|Unique Features:||Horribly scarred skin, wears mask to hide it.|
"All that peace I felt is gone. I ruin it because I can. Because it's easy. I've fought for Preston. For the Camachos. I've fought for my friends. I've tried to make these people not just safe, but happy. I didn't go looking for these people. They walked into my life. And now the imbalance is restored. I've fought for the happiness of everyone around me. I've been willing to die for that happiness. I now realize I've never experienced happiness. I put on a good show... I simply don't know the meaning of the word... And I never will."
Born as Wade Winston Wilson, Deadpool grew up with an abusive military father, and his mother died of cancer when he was still very young. Becoming a delinquent in his teenage years, his father was shot dead during a drinking session at a nightclub. Soon after, Wade joined the military for a short time before being kicked out of the service for bad behavior.
Soon after, he was diagnosed with cancer and was offered a potential cure in exchange for his participation in a superhuman enhancement project. Entering into the government’s top-secret Weapon X Program, he underwent procedures that attempted to recreate Wolverine's natural healing ability .Unfortunately, the procedure caused his cancer to go into overdrive, scarring him all over his body and leaving him with extreme neurological damage. Left in a near-catatonic state, he was labeled a failed experiment and sent to a facility with the other rejects from the program.
While there, the other prisoners took bets in a “dead pool” on which inmate would get killed next by the Warden. Remaining scarred and mentally unstable, after becoming angry enough, his healing factor kicked in, and he managed to gain enough strength to escape, killing all of the guards and freeing everyone there. An unanticipated side effect was a rapid acceleration of the cancerous tumors he was suffering from at the time, causing them to quickly spread across his entire body as soon as his powers fully activated. Because of this, his healing factor super charged his cancer, resulting in massive scar tissue causing his appearance to be severely disfigured. Deadpool's brain cells are similarly affected, with dying brain cells being rejuvenated at a super accelerated rate.
Unable to live a normal life, and because of his experience as a soldier, he became a mercenary for hire, calling himself “Deadpool,” as he beat the odds and survived the experience. Falling into an identity disorder due to his neurological damage, the mercenary lost all memories of his origins, yet retained his deadly skill set. At the same time, he became an expert in multiple forms of martial arts, began donning a red and black full-body costume, and selected the sword as his preferred weapon.
Powers and abilities
- Healing Factor: Deadpool's primary power is an accelerated healing factor, depicted by various artists and writers with varying levels of efficiency. Deadpool's healing factor also slows the aging process. He is still alive 800 years in the future when the new X-Force encountered him. This healing factor enables him to regenerate any destroyed tissues or organs at a super-human rate as well as making him immune to known diseases and infections. Similar to Captain America and Wolverine's healing factor, this stops Wade from getting drunk.
- Teleportation: Wade possesses Nightcrawler's teleportation ability via his belt.
- Weapons- An extremely unpredictable opponent, Deadpool has since come to be known for his chaotic and improvised fighting style, use of his personal teleportation devices, and a magic satchel, which allows him to pull weapons out of nowhere.
- Merc with a Mouth: However, out of all of his weapons, his most popular is his mouth, as he is famous for his wisecracking dialogue and the ability to speak nothing but nonsense.
- Fourth Wall Awareness: Wade can somehow break the 4th wall numerous times and seems aware he's a fictional character. She-Hulk AKA Jennifer Walters also has that ability.
- In 2006's Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Deadpool is a playable character voiced by John Kassir.
- In 2009's Marvel Ultimate Alliance 2, Deadpool is a playable character voiced again by John Kassir.
- In 2010's Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, Ultimate Deadpool is the second boss for Ultimate Spider-Man with his personality being more similar to his Earth-616 counterpart. In this reality, Deadpool survived his fight against Spider-Man and the X-Men, and made his own reality TV show named Pain Factor (possibly a reference to his healing factor). According to his bio, the whole "dying" thing kind of irked him, and he eventually decided to chance slaughter Spidey during the show's broadcasting, and watch it again on reruns.
- In 2011's Marvel Super Hero Squad Online, Deadpool is a playable character voiced by Tom Kenny.
- In 2011's Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Deadpool is a playable character making many quotes against Spider-Man.
- In 2011's Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3, Deadpool is a playable character once again.
- In 2012's Marvel: Avengers Alliance, Deadpool was a free reward for PvP Season One, but is now buyable for 135 Command Points.
- In 2013's Marvel Heroes, Deadpool is a buyable character for 2000 G.
- In 2013's Lego Marvel Super Heroes, Deadpool is a playable character.
- In 2013's Deadpool, Deadpool is the main protagonist.
- A version of Deadpool makes a full appearance in the Ultimate Spider-Man (2012 TV series) episode, "Ultimate Deadpool".
- Deadpool first broke the fourth wall in Deadpool #28 towards Bullseye.
- According to Taskmaster, whose abilities allowed him to analyze and copy the mercenary's fighting style, Deadpool always dodges to the left.
- Deadpool's speech and thought balloons and captions are usually colored yellow, to represent his distinctive voice (although nobody knows exactly what is distinctive about his voice, only that it sounds different). Cable of Earth-5701 has described his voice as having a "gravelly, Demi Moore" quality before "killing" him. Blind Al has also stated that Deadpool's voice sounds like a distinct mixture of "gasoline and gravel." In his earliest appearances, his speech balloons were normal balloons with red borders (soon changed to yellow borders); in later appearances, the interior would be colored yellow and the text would be written in a slightly mangled font. Deadpool has stated that the sound of his voice is due to scar tissue over his voicebox.
- Deadpool is one of the few Marvel comic book characters that have broken the "fourth wall" and called attention to his nature as a comic book character. This ability is called "Cosmic Awareness" an ability She-Hulk also has.
- According to Deadpool, he's afraid of cows because they always stare at him. During his adventure to save the multiverse from the Awareness however, his worst fear was revealed to be truly and utterly alone.
- Deadpool's name IS Wade Wilson, as that's the name he used to sign up with the army. However, T-Ray claimed that this was HIS name, and that Deadpool stole it from him, but due to both T-Ray and Deadpool being insane, neither's word can actually be trusted. In Deadpool's words "It depends on which writer you liked best."
- The X-Man Gambit has such respect for Deadpool's fighting abilities that he once paid him off rather than risk battling him, admitting that fighting Deadpool is tantamount to suicide.
- Deadpool has been cursed by Thanos with the ability to never die.
- Wade first met and befriended Bullseye in elementary school, when Wade was transferred to Bulleye's school. Bullseye then killed his teacher, and the boys burned the school to the ground followed by robbing a candy store.
- In the miniseries Deadpool's Secret Secret Wars, it was revealed that Deadpool was actually involved in the original Secret Wars storyline, and he was in fact the Venom symbiote's actual first host before it bonded to Spider-Man. It is implied that Deadpool is responsible for Venom's aggressive behavior, having possibly been driven insane due to Deadpool's crazed, dark-comedic behavior and personality and treatment of them since the Klyntar/Symbiotes are actually revealed to be peaceful creatures when Flash and the Guardians of the Galaxy were brought by a Venom-possessed Drax to Klythars' home planet. No one (except Venom) however, can remember he was even there, due to Deadpool erasing the memory.